Almost every moment of your day is a battle between what everyone else wants you to do with your time, attention, and money, and what you actually want to do.
Think of all the things fighting for your mind and wallet:
- Your inbox is full of people asking for your help
- Twitter and Facebook tempt your attention with dopamine
- Food companies constantly telling you all the delicious ways you can consume more than 2,000 calories a day
- Netflix and the golden age of TV. Have you seen Making a Murderer yet?
- So many podcasts
- Posts like this one (read while you procrastinate real work) from authors trying to earn your trust
- The constant marketing about how ugly you are, about how much you lack as a human being, and all the stuff you need to buy that would fix it
Life is literally made of time… and the entire system is working to take it from you.
There’s a reason most people won’t achieve their goals.
You think effective people let outsiders affect their sacred time and attention?
They run towards the goal line, crashing into and through obstacles as necessary.
But most of us, we aren’t playing. We’re the crowds on the sideline eating popcorn and getting fat.
The truth of course is that you’re already in a game. Everyone is.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing you you’re not at war.
So freaking wake up and realize that you’re in a fight. You must organize yourself and prepare every needful thing.
You’re in this war for the rest of your life.
You can follow me on Twitter here.